Thursday, June 18, 2009

someday i'll finish these...


On some afternoons Dee and I would sit out in front of the house, on our old lawn chairs that we?d taken with us to the river every summer, the kind that fold up and click to lock into place. You could fold them half way and sit at the edge of the water, or open them wide and lay out under the sun. We don?t go much anymore these days, partly because neither of us really have the time, but mostly because Dee can?t handle the sun like she used to, at least not for extended periods. But it was a particularly nice day and we were both tired of sitting inside.
Marty, our pet terrier, sat belly-down in the grass next to us. I named him Marty after Marty McFly, you know, from Back To The Future. I remember Dee arguing with me the day we got her.
Marty?!
Yeah. Like Back To The-
I know!
So what's the problem?
She's a girl, Sam!
And?
It turned into a pretty big fight and we ended up not speaking for almost five hours after that. I went out later that night and bought her this bouquet of roses. They were a deep red color, fresh, and in that sort of mid-bloom phase that, I guess, is supposed to be the ideal phase when buying flowers. I don't know, say what you want about them. I don't care how cliche it is, flowers will win a girl over any and every time. And they did...

No comments: